Lots of Commissions After a Slow June

Business was painfully slow in June, but luckily picked up for the month of July. Mostly painted pet portraits (my favorite!), but I did get some fun new inquiries as well. My favorite commission this month, was painting an animal in a glass bottle with a detailed background.

I love designing unique bottles for the animals I paint in them, but it’s something I hadn’t done in a while. The client was super lovely to work with. She asked for a fairly detailed swamp-like setting, which I was a bit nervous about at first as I don’t often paint detailed scenes. It turned out to be a fun challenge, though, and we were pleased with the result.

Process of painting a watercolor, bottled salamander in a swamp

Painting stages

Another unique commission I’m currently working on, is painting a snowy evergreen scene for a local client. Lots of backgrounds this month so it’s been good practice. Got clearance yesterday to go ahead and start painting the sketch, so I’ll be sure to post some progress shots later.

Between working and waiting for approval of various stages of paintings, I’ve just been working on filling in some gaps in my portfolio. I’d like to continue painting animals, but I’d really like to paint more food and just general…non-animal things as well. Admittedly, it’s been more difficult than I thought to adapt my style to other subjects. Hopefully some pieces will actually be making the cut soon. Always a work in progress~

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you have a lovely week! 🙂

Inktober 2018 – Conclusion

inktober-2018-conclusion-banner

Oh color, how I’ve missed you!

Okay I know, I could have used more color inks and generally Copic markers qualify as ink too. It just seems the perfect season for a grungy black and white style. But as much as I love painting with ink now, I miss my colorful acrylics! Excited to be back to sharing them ❤

So I said I wanted to do a spooky theme throughout October, but I totally burned out about halfway through. I ran out of ideas, so the whole spooky thing ended up being a flop. I changed angles and just tried jumping straight into painting with ink, instead of sketching each painting out first.

Here where some of the initial ‘spooky’ ones:
Continue reading